Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Happy Christmas!

It's Christmas y'all! I hope you guys are having a wonderful day spent with loved ones and delicious food :) It was a beautiful day in SoCal and my mum is making me babyback ribs tonight yay :D

So this past week has been quite hectic! Packed all day Thursday and on Friday I had to prepare food for two different potlucks. I started off with Sansa's favourite Lemon Cakes for my Game of Thrones potluck and then made Avocado Devilled Eggs for my "church" potluck that evening. There was no real theme but we did have a theme ingredient: garlic! Thank goodness my devilled egg recipe called for garlic powder ;) The potluck was a lot of fun and involved a lot of yummy dishes. We had pita bread with garlic dip, kale salad, roasted cauliflower, spicy "ddukbokgi" pasta, creamy garlic pasta, brownies, candy, and s'mores pretzels. And it was so good to hang out with these ladies since I hadn't seen a couple of them since our potluck last year! :P


On Saturday I went over to P.Dan and Judy's place in the morning to hang out with them and we ended up making gingerbread houses with the kids. It was so much fun! Then it was time to evacuate our house for the fumigation, so my mum and I went and grabbed In-N-Out for lunch. Later in the afternoon we checked into Extended Stay America. In the evening Crystal picked me up and we went to Abby's apartment for our Game of Thrones potluck! She shares a lovely apartment with her flatmate and had such a beautiful table setting laid out for us. Thanks Abby! The potluck was great. Every region except for Dorne was represented. From The Wall, we had Salad at Castle Black, Crusty White Bread, Rack of Lamb (actually babyback ribs here), Mulled Wine, and Applecakes. From the North we had Buttered Beets, while from the South we had Leek Soup and Trout Wrapped in Bacon. Tyroshi Honeyfingers came from Across the Narrow Sea and King's Landing brought us my Lemon Cakes. The food was delicious and the company was joyful. All in all a very successful potluck!


On Sunday we checked out of Extended Stay America, ran some errands, and then headed up to Solvang. We stopped in Oxnard on the way for a late breakfast at McDonald's. And then we were finally in Solvang! What a cute town. We checked out Elverhoj Museum, The Mole Hole (bought my mum's Christmas gift here), the Hans Christian Andersen Museum, the SYV Hardware and Garden Center (which is actually now just Ace Hardware), Solvang Antiques, and the Visitors Bureau. Then it was getting pretty hot so we changed into short sleeves and headed to lunch at Paula's Pancake House. Afterwards we checked out Old Mission Santa Ines, Pebble People, and the famous windmill before getting aebleskivers at Solvang Restaurant. Having now seen pretty much everything in Solvang we wanted to, we checked into Viking Motel for the night. And since there are no good dinner options in Solvang, we opted to stay in and order Domino's. Love their pizza with garlic sauce! ;)


{Don't I look like I totally belong in this quaint Danish town?}

On Monday we checked out and headed to Olsen's Danish Village Bakery & Coffee Shop for breakfast. My mum got coffee, I got milk, and we shared their apple danish and cheese danish. Yum! Drove around town one last time and then headed to Butterfly Beach to enjoy the ocean. Beautiful! Then we came back home to find the fumigation over and our house liveable again, free of termites, yay! It was a lot of work cleaning up the house and bringing back all the food items that we had put away, but we did it. AND we even managed a trip to Costco to buy babyback ribs (for tonight's dinner). Go us! Yesterday I got to hang out with Joyce and Richard for a little while and spent the rest of the day finishing up the work from Monday as well as finally watching some of my TV shows. Today has been full of yummy food and I can't wait for dinner tonight. Happy Christmas everyone! :)

0 comments: